Started in the United States in 1937 as the employee benefits department of Marsh & McLennan, Inc., our company took the name of “William M. Mercer” in 1959, when Marsh & McLennan acquired William M. Mercer Limited, a Canadian firm founded by William Manson Mercer in 1945. In 1975, Mercer became a wholly-owned subsidiary of Marsh & McLennan Companies, Inc. In 2002, we changed our corporate name to Mercer Human Resource Consulting. The company became Mercer in 2007.
Mercer has grown significantly in size and service capabilities through careful recruiting efforts and a series of mergers with other top-quality firms. Some of the firms that have contributed to the making of Mercer since the company's creation in Canada and its US incorporation in 1975 are included here.